Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Opportunities


Recently a old college buddy of mine accepted a new leadership role in the US Marines. I congratulated him on his promotion . . . and here is part of his response. Worthy insight.

"It is an awesome responsibility and will most certainly be the pinnacle of my career. I find it funny that it is something that I have aspired to for so long and when the moment unexpectedly came upon me, I hesitated. I actually debated not taking the job. It was some wise counsel from several mentors (my dad included) that showed me that I had a moral obligation to accept this responsibility. Part of my conviction was a quote by Winston Churchill..."

"To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour."

No comments: