Sunday, January 08, 2006

Blog

I currently read about 12-15 blogs. Not as regularly as I would like, but often enough to stay caught up. Why? I think I am in the stage of ministry where learning new wine skins outweighs aggressively repeating what I already know. Some of what I know is pretty awesome and works pretty well, but much of where we need to go we have never been before. The big challenges for the US Campus Ministry has little to do with how to reach white middle class freshmen living in the dorms. It has everything to do with the 1 million radically diverse students living in NY (and similar numbers in LA, San Fran and other cities around the country). And this does not even begin to address the complexities of student life in Moscow, Istanbul, Mexico City and other places where the the 100 million students of the world live.

So, I am in a desperate search for those who are seeing God work in new and innovative ways. Not because what I know is bad, but because there are things I don't know that could help us expand our influence for the Kingdom. God is sooooo much bigger than what can see within the USCM - or even within the traditional church and the evangelical world. We must be open to watching closely how God is moving all over the world. And then celebrate, borrow & steal for the best possible results in our areas of responsibility.

My leadership could always use a good dose of humility in ministry skills and practices. There are those who have gone before us (and those whom God is using mightily now) who can inform the discussion. Think how crazy Paul & Barnabas seemed when they headed for the wilds of Asia, or Bill Bright when he showed up at UCLA or when Chuck Smith began to reach out to "hippies" through Calvary Chapel in the 70's. Much of what is good and new is not accepted by what is tried and true.

Many of the blogs I read are linked to the side, however I have added a few (while being to lazy to add them to my "worthy bloggage" yet). Here are some others.

House Church Blog
Nextwave News
Steve Addison's blog - World Changers
House Church Chronicles
Leadership Blog: Out of Ur
Jaeson Ma

I am not promising that you (or I) will agree with all that is here, but it will make you think and (it seems to me) that thinking always makes me lead better. I've done it seldom enough that I can recognize the difference.

No comments: