Sunday, April 02, 2006

A short from Katrina Relief

Bryan Murray is a good friend and part of the Impact staff team (Impact is an outreach to African American college students).

“In New Orleans I had a wonderful opportunity to lead a young man to faith in Jesus. Here's a recap.

Moshe (Arabic for Moses) started attending Impact meetings on his campus as a way to investigate Christ. At a particular meeting, he heard about the Impact Now: New Orleans Work Project and decided he wanted to go. Moshe was not a Christian at the time and told me about his spiritual journey. That same night we talked about faith in Christ further.

Because Moshe wasn't clear about what it meant to trust Jesus for salvation, I told him about a man who strung a tight rope across Niagara Falls and walked across it. The crowd was amazed so the man took a wheel barrel and walked it across the Falls too. The crowd was astonished. The man asked the crowd, "Who believes I can walk a person across in the wheel barrel?" The crowd said, "You can do it." "Who'll be my first volunteer, " the man asked. No one raised a hand.

This story illustrated to Moshe the fact that knowing Jesus can save and trusting in Jesus' death (getting in the barrel) to save him are very different. Moshe decided to "get into the barrel" the night we talked.

Moshe called my cell phone yesterday and left the following message (I was in a meeting):

"Hey, Bryan this is Moshe Walker from Wisconsin. I'm the guy who got in the barrel that day and went to the other side. I just wanted to thank you again for encouraging me and giving me words of wisdom. I just want to thank you again. I'm taking small steps here in Wisconsin with the others in Impact. Right now Me and Samantha are going to a local radio station and talking about Impact, how it [Impact] helped us, and the Katrina situation. Thanks again. Take care and God bless."”

Pray for Moshe and for Bryan’s continued ministry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

What a joy to see this story. We were praying for your time while you were at Katrina!

John & Sonya