Monday, August 22, 2005

The Destino Adventure - Mini-Mi Master Plan

So how real can this multiple movement’s thing be? I am just one staff dude, but a few weeks ago I got the hair brained idea to jump in and see what God could do with my simple, unknowledgeable, limited efforts.

About 30 minutes away from mi casa is the home of the mighty Golden Knights of the University of Central Florida (season tickets still available). So I get to thinkin’ . . . what if I could run a little half-baked ministry test and see what happens. Why not? The school itself is around 45k students, and rumor has it that there are a bunch of Latino students out there (over 1k for sure) - so how about an attempt at a new Destino movement?

My assumptions:

  • God really wants to reach Latino students
  • Knowing him, he is probably already at work somehow, someway.
  • I ain’t got a lot of time (I got this other full time gig).
  • Unless He moves, I am sunk.

My parameters:
  • I will go it alone (this is contrary to what I should / would normally do, but I want to see how much time and energy this eats up).
  • I will use only what I currently know, or what I can find out via ESMHelp.com, GodSquad.com or other known resources.
  • I will grab no help or students from the current Cru movement (although normally this would also be a wise place to start).

My plan:
  1. Pray and Decode. Go to campus and spend some time in prayer and get the lay of the land.
  2. Posterize and surface. With the advent of MyEveryStudent.com (more on this in a later blog) I can easily create a Latino evangelistic web site that may help me surface key contacts and the ever so talked about “person of peace.”
  3. When (or if) I surfaced said PoP (or a handful of interested students), I will host a meeting, cast a little vision, give them some training and unleash them on UCF (or technically, they would unleash themselves).
  4. An add on: I will grab the list of student government leaders (student senate) and try to set up some evangelistic appointments with students who have Latin surnames.

So off we go - and we shall see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shane,
This is very cool. I have actually been praying about this lately for myself. I may just take your plan and run with it on a campus here locally. Keep us posted on your progress.

Anonymous said...

How about looking for kingdom resources near a campus. Like a Hispanic Businessmans Association, or Faculty member.