Thursday, March 01, 2007

Apostolic Genius

Alan identifies six elements of what he has termed Apostolic Genius (defined as the unique energy and force that imbues phenomenal Jesus movements). There may be more, but there are never less.

  1. Jesus is Lord - at the middle is this simple but radical confession. This statement oversees all of life. (at first this seems logical, simple and kind of weak - but as you read more on these implication, you begin to realize the highly volatile nature of this radical confession).
  2. Disciple Making - the life-long task of becoming like Jesus. Again, this sounds simple, especially with our preconceived notions of disciple making. Disciple making involved bringing every aspect of life into the likeness of Christ.
  3. Missional-Incarnational Impulse - every missional movement shows the twin engines of outward thrust and a related deepening. This seeds and embeds the gospel in new locations / people / cultures.
  4. Apostolic Environment - this is the type of leadership and ministry required to move ahead. Don't let the word apostolic freak you out - it simply means 'sent one', but the implications are huge.
  5. Organic Systems - don't even get me started. Alan says, 'Phenomenal Jesus movements grow precisely because they do not have centralized institutions to block growth through control' - some one get me a tissue.
  6. Communitas, Not Community - communities and bonds that come together in the context of a shared ordeal - or those that define themselves as a group with a mission that lies beyond themselves (and engaging in a risky journey).
Here is Alan's take - (this is where I stole the pretty picture).

So the question is . . . how we doin? In each of these categories there is a way that the church in the west has attempted to operated (Cru included) that stunts the functioning of apostolic genius. We must figure out what needs to change and then be courageous enough to change it (or to simply start something new).

I have my opionion (like that will shock anyone) - what about yours? Get the book. When you look at these 6 elements, where do we need to adjust? What are we missing? How do we change? What would you suggest as the next steps?

Over the next few posts, I will try to explore each of these ideas in various ways.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

some problems with my id. I'd like to join the discussion. send me the book to read

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book yet but would like to. Looks great.

Anonymous said...

i'm stoked, shane . thanks for the invite. i'm all signed up!!

Anonymous said...

"Missional-Incarnational Impulse - every missional movement shows the twin engines of outward thrust and a related deepening."

This is the great rub of moving toward the scope. I like the twin engine analogy...moving toward the scope and going deeper are compatible, not competitive movement distinctives. Look forward to seeing more in the book.

Rick Pridey

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shane-look forward to reading more!

The Lowedown said...

Hey Shane...great idea. I'd love to read the book...sounds interesting.

Dave Lowe

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of trying to systematize a movement's essentials. To some degree, we're lacking in all and excelling in all... but two of these structural points seem at odds with each other.

Missional-Incarnation Impulse, and Communitas (not Community).

As a group unifies and goes through a shared experience (or better still, an ordeal or outward pressure) that defines them as a group, the very definition of that group via that shared experience limits the ability of that group to have an effective missional thrust.

This is most notably seen in language. A bond is formed. And they start to reference the same things, use the same words, and point back to the same events. This naturally alienates the ability to go into a new culture that uses different words. I see this all the time as followers of Jesus begin to become a cohesive unit, they lose the ability to speak to the artist or the musician or the poet or the mathematician - on a level that portrays outward thrust.

And, of course, Cru as a whole, is no different. I see it in recruiting to staff - people who are trying GenX language and enticements to a potential GenY staff. It's just wierd.

I don't think it's a problem that can't be overcome. It just needs alot of awareness.

Looking forward to more of your thoughts.

Brent said...

Shane, this is what we need! I want in. I am subscribed. Man, this is the type of stuff we need to be discussing and yes, ranting over!
Brent Please shoot me a copy!

Anonymous said...

I just subscribed to www.MovementsEverywhereRant.com but have to be accepted to leave a comment. My comment is that you caught my attention and I raised an eyebrow as I glanced over your thoughts on Alan Hirsch’s “The Forgotten Ways”. I need to read more.

Milwaukee Metro staff
Erick Lettner

Anonymous said...

Hey Shane, generous offer. I won't take you up on it though as I have a few copies already myself. :-)

Seriously, thanks for the affirmation. I do believe you guys have been onto these insights for years. Thanks for your blog and for your ministry.

You da man. I have not forgotten your offer of hospitality in Orlando. Will let you know.

Love
A

Brian Barela said...

I like the components and the interconnectedness of each. I struggle a little with the language towards the central organization. What if we still had to do paper reimbursements and concur was not developed? I don't think the problem is with the structure of a centralized organization--I think the problem is how it functions--most often is does function primarily in a controlling manner, but it could, if leaders were okay with not being 'the man'and didn't fight the urge to maintain power through controlling those on the field, actually be extremely effective. Just my thoughts though.

Michele Davis said...

I am way intrigued, and i want to read this book!

Kathryn Taylor said...

I am going to get that book.  I was in Mexico City last week....Joe and Craig talked non-stop about “The Starfish and the Spider” so I read the whole thing in one night while we were there. (I LOVED working with them by the way, they are just going for it without all the “rules”)   All of this is stuff that I’ve been thinking about for a while.  I just feel like ministry has gotten so complicated.....it’s a little discouraging.  I find myself thinking more and more about what it would be like to not even be in ministry and have to solve all the “problems” but just live it....I just feel like we are at a critical fork in the road with CCC and if we don’t turn, it’s not something I want to continue to be a part of – or that I even think is going to make a significant difference in our world....yikes.  I guess I haven’t ever really put that in writing before now!  Anyway, I really enjoyed our chats at the national local leaders conference last year so I guess I do feel like you’re some one I can “rant” to.  I’d love to dialogue more once I get the book and get into it!

Shane Deike said...

Denisov - thanks for the thinking. I see your point, but I think the two ideas you identify work together as long as their is 'mission' involved. In other words, the bond of communitas in the struggle gives energy to the missional-incarnational impulse. Without this aspect of communitas then we end up being a club with our own language etc. I will be interested to see if the discussion helps us to get our brain around these two ideas.

Shane Deike said...

Rick - why is it that we (Cru) always see these two things as competitive (deep vs. out). I hear people say we are mile wide and an inch deep as if you cannot be moving fast and going deeper at the same time. Sometimes I feel that we have bought into a seminarian (make up a word) view of depth that equals knowledge. It seems to me that depth would better be associated with kingdom expansion. I wonder how we ended up with a dicotomy on this one?

Anonymous said...

simply stopping by to say hi

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I suppose no one realizes that Hirsch claims that he received special revelation from God for his Apostolic Genius. He states in his book "The Forgotten Ways,"If anything, like all who receive a grace from God, I feel that I am the humble recipient of a revelation, an unearthing of something primal, in which I am privileged to participate. The Forgotten Ways is a stumbling attempt to articulate that ever elusive revelation of the nature of Apostolic Genius—something that belongs to the gospel itself and therefore to the whole people who live by it." Hirsch, Alan. The Forgotten Ways (p. 36). Brazos Press.

So does he believe in a closed canon? It does not appear that he does. If he received special revelation, then others could, also. That means that Holy Scriptures are continually added to. He also believes that Apostolic Genius is part of the gospel and thereby adds to the gospel. That is not what the Apostle Paul stated (1 Corinthians 15:3-4). I see nothing about Apostolic Genius in any book of the Bible. I would not recommend his book to anyone.